An athlete who needs to be treated with a substance or method that is on the Prohibited List must apply for a special exemption to allow them to take the medication without falling foul of the Rules. This Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) is obtained from the Irish Sports Council or sometimes from their International Federation.
The Council's TUE system is based on requirements of the WADA International Standard for TUEs. As required in the Standard, the Irish Sports Council Committee considers requests for TUEs.
The Committee Members are:
- Prof. John Horgan (Chairperson), Cardiology
- Dr James Gibney ,Endocrinology
- Dr Philip Murphy, Haematology
- Prof. John O'Byrne, Orthopaedics
- Prof Michael Fitzgerald, Psychiatry
- Dr Sean Gaine, Respiratory
- Dr Sinead Harney, Respiratory
- Prof Stephen Lane, Respiratory
Read the Medicines & TUEs section of this website for more information on applying for a Therapeutic Use Exemption.